Help with zef Portfile

raf macports at raf.org
Sun Nov 26 23:40:05 UTC 2023

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 06:08:00AM +1100, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> raf wrote:
>
> > I tried just putting "system" before the command but it didn't work.
> > I couldn't find the documentation for tcl's system,
>
> System isn't a standard Tcl thing, it's provided by MacPorts. It's closely
> analogous to system(3). It takes a single string which is passed to 'sh -c'.

Thanks. I was effectively giving it multiple strings instead of one.

> It's documented in the portfile man page at least. If it's missing
> elsewhere, that's one more thing for the list of documentation improvements
> that are needed.

I looked for it at https://guide.macports.org/chunked/reference.tcl-extensions.html
Thanks for the pointer to the portfile manpage.

> >    :info:destroot Failed to create directory '/opt/local/share/perl6/site/short' with mode '0o777': Failed to mkdir: Operation not permitted
> That path is outside the work path, so it's not permitted to write to it
> except in the activate phase, but apparently something in the port is trying
> to create it during the destroot phase.
>
> - Josh

Yes. I thought it was odd but assumed it must have been part of
the activation phase (even though it says destroot in the message).

Perhaps it's rakudo itself doing that. But how did I manage to get it
to work at all (before trying install with -vst)? Maybe I had installed
zef earlier manually and the directories were there? Not sure. But I
think I remember seeing that directory in the past but it's gone now.

I'll try to create any missing directories in ${destroot} as part of
post-destroot and see if that helps. Or maybe I can ask on a rakudo
mailing list about what creates these directories.

cheers,
raf