Why all this GARBAGE WARE for one single app?

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 04:07:14 UTC 2023

Not at all. I suspect that the port you’ve chosen is a little bit uglier
than most because the default version
of gedit is `gedit +python310+x11`, which has 557 direct and transitive
unique dependencies (including
"yelp", the default GNOME help browser) for build or runtime (298 are
runtime only). The variant
`gedit +python310+quartz` has 373 direct and transitive unique dependencies
for build or runtime (144
are runtime only).

If you were running this on a Linux system, you would still have all of
these libraries and executables
installed, but you wouldn't notice it because they're (usually) part of the
graphical system you would already
have installed.

The Homebrew installation of Gedit only has ~70 runtime dependencies, but a
large part of that I think is
that the packages are broken up differently between Homebrew and MacPorts —
and it appears that the
Homebrew package is what MacPorts would call the +quartz variant.

MacPorts works differently than Homebrew, and while I still use both, I am
shifting more and more to
MacPorts.

One could have a discussion as to why the `+x11` variant of gedit is the
preferred variant for MacPorts,
but that's different from what was originally asked.

-a

Austin Ziegler • halostatue at gmail.comaustin at halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/http://twitter.com/halostatue