Quartz no longer launching when an X application is invoked

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 10:55:05 UTC 2023

Hi,

'Quartz' has nothing to do with X11, its the primary compositor used by
macOS itself to render graphics.

I assume you are actually taking about the X11 server, which in MacPorts
is provided by the 'xorg-server' port and historically was provided by
the 'XQuartz' package.

Some basic questions.

1. What installation of the X11 server are you using ? the MacPorts
provided one or something else ?

2. Regardless of your answer to 1., try (re)installing the MacPorts
provided one

  > sudo port uninstall xorg-server
  > sudo port install xorg-server

Then log out and back in again. This step is important as if you skip it
things do not work correctly.

3. Finally, in order for the automatic starting of the X11 server on
demand to work, you need your DISPLAY variable set correctly. It should
look something like

$ echo $DISPLAY
/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.TwDg8TRtvI/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

i.e. it needs to refer to a launchd socket. If you see something else
instead you like are overriding this somewhere and you need to find and
remove this.

Chris