Unistalling gmic-gimp macport

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 12 09:22:10 UTC 2023

On Oct 11, 2023, at 06:23, Michal Sidorczyk wrote:
> then I followed this instruction:
>

> https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html
>

> to remove macports completely. However, /opt/local still contains data (I assume it is all macports related) and it is 2.7GB big. Can I just remove it manually safely?

The uninstallation instructions fully remove MacPorts and include removing /opt/local. If you still have that directory you haven't followed the instructions.

> Moreover, it seems the uninstall procedure is pretty far from cleaning everything. As I said installation of gmic-gimp port alone took 10GB. Not even mentioning the other part of macports. Now, after removal of all the ports, only 3GB of disk space was released. Adding 2.7GB from /opt/local makes it 5-6GB the top. Are there any other macports’ leftovers I should remove manually?

Uninstalling MacPorts doesn't uninstall Xcode or the command line tools. You can find instructions from Apple for how to remove those if you wish. Xcode takes an extraordinary amount of disk space these days. The command line tools are fairly small.

Xcode sometimes creates CoreSimulator caches which are fairly large. MacPorts does not need these caches but we have not been able to suppress their creation. See ticket #67592. You can delete these caches.

If your computer needed to allocate swap space for virtual memory while building, it's possible that some of it is still allocated. You can clear any allocated swap space by restarting your computer. This also deletes any temporary files that might not have been removed by their creators.