Many "permission denied" errors.

Carl Witthoft cellocgw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 15:13:44 UTC 2024

Hi,
I haven't used MacPorts for a few years, and am trying to get it running
under MacOS Ventura.  I do have the latest XCode, etc. .   I installed
from MacPorts-2.9.3-13-Ventura.pkg .
The problem is that, running from the command line,  I have run into at
least 10 different error messages all of which complain about permission
denied when trying to write to one directory or another.   I've taken the
approach of changing /opt/local/[lots of directories]  permissions to "read
and write" for everyone,  but am unable to track down all necessary
locations.
Since I don't think I should have had to change any permissions in the
first place -- and yes I'm using sudo for nearly all 'port' commands --
what is going wrong?

example:
sudo port -f activate xorg-xorgproto
error message is

Warning: Failed to execute portfile from registry for xorg-xorgproto
@2024.1_0

--->  Activating xorg-xorgproto @2024.1_0

Error: port activate failed: mkdtemp failed: Permission denied

This means I cannot complete 'port upgrade outdated'  , for example.

thanks

Carl