force rebuild a port

Pieter van Oostrum pieter-l at vanoostrum.org
Thu Mar 7 14:55:10 UTC 2024

Riccardo Mottola via macports-users <macports-users at lists.macports.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> suppose I want to rebuild a port, but it has no version update.
> 1) e.g. rev-upgrade shows it to be rebuild but "port outdated" doesn't
> show it.
> 2) Or I want to rebuild it with a different compiler.
>
> How can I do? "port upgrade X" will do nothing because X is not outdated.
> "port upgrade --force X" will upgrade all dependencies, which is a
> little too much...
>
> 1) in my case has issues because it wants to rebuild many packages and
> starts with one that breaks, so it never gets to the next one.
> I tried using "-p" but apparently it is not respected for "port -p
> rev-upgrade" and still dies.
>
> Riccardo

What I sometimes did is to restart the port all over:
port installed crancyport (to see which variants have been used)
port -f uninstall crancyport
maybe port clean --all crancyport
port install crancyport <recorded variants>
--
Pieter van Oostrum <pieter at vanoostrum.org>
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/