MacPorts vs. Apple compiler issues, Handle

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Wed Mar 13 09:52:41 UTC 2024

Hi,

Joshua Root wrote:

> The version difference is less slight than you might think. Apple
> clang version numbers are unrelated to the version number of the
> llvm.org release they are based on. Apple clang 9.1.0 is closest to
> the clang-5.0 port.
>
> The name collision looks genuine however. I can only assume that
> MacTypes.h is not included or is preprocessed differently based on
> different defines in the other compiler.

I found a minor patch by Firefox to solve this namespace collision. So
for whatever reason Apple's did differently, it now compiles on all
compilers.

However clang9 generates a crashing executable. I tried on both 10.11
and 10.13.

- Apple clang: works fine
- MacPorts clang 7: compiles & works
- MacPorts clang 9 : compiles but fails

anybody has seen this behaviour in other software, perhaps smaller and
easier to test than ArcticFox?

Riccardo