ld: can't write output file for architecture ppc

Andreas Falkenhahn andreas at falkenhahn.com
Sun Mar 17 10:38:56 UTC 2024

Hi,

for several years I've been successfully using gcc-mp-6 on a PPC Mac running OS X 10.5. I installed MacPorts and gcc-mp-6 back in 2017 and haven't updated anything concerning MacPorts since. Now I wanted to install a new MacPorts package and in order to install the package it also forced me to update MacPorts. In hindsight that was a BIG, BIG mistake because of course it aborted somewhere in the middle of the update process and now it looks like my installation is f*** up because whenever I try to link something I now get the error:

     ld: can't write output file <foo> for architecture ppc

gcc-mp-6 itself apparently is still working. I have compared the object files generated by it from before and after the attempted MacPorts update and they're identical but ld seems broken. Is there any way I can get ld back up and running?

No, I don't have a backup of my old MacPorts installation, another mistake :(

It's really annoying. I really could've sensed that updating a 2017 MacPorts installation on a 20 year old system nobody besides me is still using would never go through but still I tried... silly, silly me!!

Any idea how I can get that fixed?

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:andreas at falkenhahn.com