ld: can't write output file for architecture ppc

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Sun Mar 17 13:50:37 UTC 2024

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:
>       ld: can't write output file <foo> for architecture ppc
>
> gcc-mp-6 itself apparently is still working. I have compared the object files generated by it from before and after the attempted MacPorts update and they're identical but ld seems broken. Is there any way I can get ld back up and running?
>
> No, I don't have a backup of my old MacPorts installation, another mistake:(
>
> It's really annoying. I really could've sensed that updating a 2017 MacPorts installation on a 20 year old system nobody besides me is still using would never go through but still I tried... silly, silly me!!

It is a big jump in updates, but on the other side you are not the only
one uses. I am using 10.5 on PPC and Intel and other MacPorts users are
on PPC or other legacy systems, so there is still good effort updating
things.

I have GCC working on my G4. I updated dozen of packages last week.

I have a couple of "leftovers" I want to report and tackle, some are
generic to 10.5, some are specific to ppc / gcc, because on Intel the
preferred compiler is clang.

> Any idea how I can get that fixed?

I would have a look at the linker, binutils and similar.
Are you on G3/G4 or G5 ?

does gcc fail when used outside MacPorts or does it always fail?

Since I have a working gcc, you should be able too.

Riccardo