ld: can't write output file for architecture ppc

Andreas Falkenhahn andreas at falkenhahn.com
Tue Mar 19 15:22:22 UTC 2024

Macports-users wrote:

> Are you on G3/G4 or G5 ?

G5.

> I would have a look at the linker, binutils and similar.

But where should I look? When I examine /opt/local/bin it's pretty
messy because 50% of the files have a timestamp of 2017 and the
other half has a 2024 timestamp so it really looks like the installation
is messed up because half of the components are from 2017 and the
other half is from 2024. I don't see how I could restore my old
installation here.

Ironically, ld still has a 2017 timestamp so it looks like this
is the correct old version but still it doesn't work. Probably
because the MacPorts upgrade has messed up the installation...

> When you upgrade, MacPorts will only deactivate the old versions of
> ports (unless specifically told to immediately uninstall them). So you
> should be able to activate the older versions to get back to the state
> you were in previously.

Hmm, how to do that please? As written above, /opt/local/bin is
a complete mess as half of the components are from 2017 and the
other half is from 2024. How should I restore the old versions
here please?

> does gcc fail when used outside MacPorts or does it always fail?

Outside MacPorts gcc works fine. No problems with the gcc installed
by Xcode but that is gcc 4.0.1. I installed MacPorts to get a newer
gcc.

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:andreas at falkenhahn.com