ld: can't write output file for architecture ppc

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 19 23:00:57 UTC 2024

On Mar 19, 2024, at 10:21, Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

>> When you upgrade, MacPorts will only deactivate the old versions of
>> ports (unless specifically told to immediately uninstall them). So you
>> should be able to activate the older versions to get back to the state
>> you were in previously.
>
> Hmm, how to do that please? As written above, /opt/local/bin is
> a complete mess as half of the components are from 2017 and the
> other half is from 2024. How should I restore the old versions
> here please?

As Josh explained, run:

  port -v installed

It may be easier to limit the output to just those ports that have multiple versions installed (of which one is active and one or more are inactive):

  port -v installed actinact

For each port it will show when you installed it. You may wish to direct the output to a text editor for easier analysis.

For example on my system I have:

  sqlite3 @3.45.1_1 requested_variants='' platform='darwin 21' archs='x86_64' date='2024-02-05T00:01:48-0600'
  sqlite3 @3.45.2_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 21' archs='x86_64' date='2024-03-12T10:59:05-0500'

If I wanted to downgrade from sqlite3 @3.45.2_0 which I installed in March back to sqlite3 @3.45.1_1 which I installed in February, I would run:

  sudo port activate sqlite3 @3.45.1_1

If you reactivate all of the 2017 versions of your ports, you should be back to where you were before trying to upgrade.