port upgrade causes problems when port not installed

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Dec 29 06:58:42 PST 2006

On Dec 28, 2006, at 8:17 PM, Kevin Ballard wrote:
> I just had an interesting problem, as detailed in ticket <http://
> trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/11200>.
>
> Can anybody tell me why port upgrade used to build first, then
> install the new one, then deactivate/uninstall the old, then
> activate the new? And why now it's always deactivating/uninstalling
> first before installing the new?

Because we changed the upgrade target to 'unarchive' (and never
changed it back).

(I sent a mail to the list on August 25 outlining the issue).

I don't have commit to base/ and those that do seemed to ignore it,
though.

> Except, as you can see in my log, doing the upgrade without it
> already installed finished the aborted build, installed, then
> uninstalled and started trying to re-build/install again?

If you aren't using archive mode, and you turn it off (as it's now
off by default), the upgrade target will be 'destroot' and things
should work like they used to.

--
Daniel J. Luke