Renaming a port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 2 13:37:52 PST 2006

What's the procedure if I want to rename a port? I've been meaning to
install ViewVC on my Mac since forever, and now that I finally have
some free time, I thought I'd give it a shot, and realized it would
be good to have a port for it. And in fact there is a port for
ViewCVS, the old name of ViewVC, but it's old and not maintained. I'd
like to try to update it, but the first step would be to rename it
from viewcvs to viewvc. Do I just "cd dports/devel && svn mv viewcvs
viewvc" or should we keep the viewcvs port around with a note about
the name change? I note that the ethereal port still exists even
though that project has been renamed wireshark. What's the
recommended way to handle this situation? Is it documented somewhere?