Default revision of 1

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 09:07:04 PDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:
> When I'm developing a new port or want to override the default port in MacPort's
> svn with a local port of a newer upstream release, it would be nice to have a
> range of revision numbers that is smaller than any revision number from
> MacPort's svn repository.
>
> This would enable me to have a local port, say subversion 1.4.1-0, and then when
> the real subversion 1.4.1-1 comes out, I'll get an out of date warning.
>
> Also, is the revision an integer, a floating point value, or does it compare
> values like the version number, it 0.10 is greater than 0.9?

I would very much like to see this happen - and while we're at it,
change it so that pre-release information is encoded in the revision
field (i.e. lame 3.97b2 -> lame 3.97-0.b2.1), making automated upgrade
less painful to deal with (3.97-1, the first stable 3.97 release,
would be seen as newer than 3.97-0.b2.1 but not 3.97b2-1)

--
Michel Salim
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~msalim