Default revision of 1

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Tue Oct 10 13:52:01 PDT 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 8:23 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:

> When I'm developing a new port or want to override the default port
> in MacPort's
> svn with a local port of a newer upstream release, it would be nice
> to have a
> range of revision numbers that is smaller than any revision number
> from
> MacPort's svn repository.

Well, to keep revisions sacrosanct , which kvv argues for and I agree
with, another option might be to use small negative epoch values.

I believe epoch defaults to zero. So if you used a small negative
epoch for your internal development, and removed epoch on release, I
believe you'd have a solution to your problem. Assuming that all the
epoch comparisons work correctly for negative numbers, which they
probably do. You'd need to do some testing to figure verify this.

The nice thing, of course, is that maps well to the intended use of
epoch: version numbering in entirely different spaces.

James