X11 ports

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Tue Oct 10 11:14:12 PDT 2006

Vincent Lefevre <vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org> on Tuesday, October 10, 2006
at 1:41 AM -0800 wrote:
>> So I've never dealt with porting X11 programs before.  Since we all use
>> non-MacPorts X11 now, does that make it acceptable to write outside
>> ${prefix] for X11 ports?  Specifically, this submission writes to
>> /usr/X11R6/bin/ and /usr/X11R6/lib (via destroot).  Please advise.
>
>Is there a reason to want to write there?
>
>Note that there is no such prefix for Xorg (= X11 R7), so that writing
>to a different $prefix would make ports more complicate to work with
>both X11R6 and Xorg.
>
>For instance, undex Linux (Debian) with Xorg:
>
>vin:~> which xterm
>/usr/bin/xterm

Ok, the Makefile was poorly written and BINDIR was specifiying both the
location for default X11 bin stuff and also where you want the x3270 to
go.  I fixed that.

But what about fonts?  I can specify that they be installed in ${prefix},
but the app can't find them.  I've tried putting the
${prefix}-my-font-path in the catalogue path in /etc/X11/fs/config but it
still can't find them.

Also, what about writing to /etc/X11/app-defaults?  It seems to me there
may be no way around that.

Mark