Bug filing criterion / application errors

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Tue Oct 10 23:10:37 PDT 2006

Is it fair to day that in general that bugs should not be filed for
application issues?  I'm working on documentation and it sems to me we
need some rough criteria for filing bugs.  Esoteric application errors are
something we can do little about, and I susoect when people do this they
are not reporting them upstream where they may be fixed.   Of course if it
is a bug that afects our users and would generate questions and/or cause
us to delay an upgrade is always an exception just to name one, but
esoteric application bugs that don't affect other apps at all don't seem
to be a good idea, especially if the user neglects to report it upstream.

Do others agree that for bug filing guidelines that bugs for MacPorts
should generally be confined to installation and configuration issues,
with exceptions roughly spelled out?  I'm not saying it is a big problem
but still I think some rough guidelines like this would be a good thing.
It is better than stating nothing and then marking bugs "invalid"
immediately because people get sorta miffed.

Mark