macports without root?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Oct 15 08:04:51 PDT 2006

On Oct 14, 2006, at 8:59 PM, Paul M. Lambert wrote:
> I'm trying to build a macports installation that runs entirely out
> of a user's home directory.
>
> I've compiled macports without launchd support, and set the install
> user and group to the appropriate user.
>
> However, when I try to run "port install mysql5" it fails,
> apparently because it's trying to chown a file to root.
>
> Is this a problem with that port, or does macports require root in
> general?

It looks like the server variant of that port wants to set everything
up for a 'normal' mysql server install.

You could probably run the regular (non-server) variant and then
configure mysql how you want it after the install without needing root.

> If it's the latter, any suggestions on how I could go about
> patching it to allow fully non-root user installations?

I think most of the issues you will find will be with individual
ports, but I don't know if anyone else is still running macports as
non-root, so you could stumble across other issues that we haven't
seen before.

--
Daniel J. Luke