macports without root?

Salvatore Domenick Desiano sal at ri.cmu.edu
Sun Oct 15 13:46:07 PDT 2006

I tried, for a while, to run MacPorts without root, but it ends up being
more trouble than its worth. A fair number of packages (like mysql) just
can't install without adding users or making priviledged files. Most
will build without root, so you can do port build as user and port
install as root, but even that runs into problems. I also suspect that a
number of undiagnosed problems with my install stem from packages being
built as a user (even though it shouldn't matter).

The short version is that I don't think we have a stable system that can
be run strictly as a user, and that the changes required to make one go
far beyond MacPorts and into the individual packages, themselves.

Just my 2c.

-- Sal
smile.