Keeping local modifications

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Oct 23 09:44:35 PDT 2006

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2006-10-22 13:33:46 -0700, Kent Karlsson wrote:
>> I'm keeping some local modifications to some portfiles to keep them
>> working with a bunch of local modifications to the system. In order to
>> do this, I copy the ports I modify to a local dports dir and make the
>> changes there so they won't be lost when I do a selfupdate.
>
> I do that too.
>
>> Is there some way that I can make my locally modified ports totally
>> replace the official ones? Just adding a Revision tag makes them
>> impossible to distinguish in the list and I also see both versions.
>
> I don't understand. They have the precedence over the official ones
> (as given in the $prefix/etc/ports/sources.conf file). The official
> port still appears in "port list", but this isn't much a problem.

This partly goes to the discussion I raised about default revisions of 1:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2006-October/000095.html

But it would be nice for the precedence be done by (version, revision) tuple and
not by location of the Portfile, so you can have local modifications be outdated
when a new official port comes out.

Regards,
Blair