libtool problem with MacPorts 1.4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 6 17:17:05 PDT 2007

On Apr 6, 2007, at 06:18, Jochen Küpper wrote:

> I just performed a port selfupdate to 1.4.0 yesterday and now try
> to install python24 / py-numpy /  matplotlib with it.
>
> The first point that raises is the following: It installed the
> gcc42 port, and I do habe /opt/local/bib/gcc-dp-4.2 and such. How
> is one suppposed to ensure these are actually used? I have set CC,
> CXX, and friends accordingly and have /opt/local/bin first in the
> path, but the ports are still build using gcc-4.0 from Apple.

As far as I know, all ports should continue to use the Apple gcc-4.0,
unless the port specifically depends on the gcc42 port and redefines
the CC, CXX, etc variables.

> Moreover, I encounter a build-problem for python24 with libtool
> (the MacPorts one):
>
> [...]
> ranlib libpython2.4.a
> /opt/local/bin/ginstall -c -d -m 755 Python.framework/Versions/2.4
> libtool -o Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python -dynamic
> libpython2.4.a \
>          -lSystem -lSystemStubs -arch_only i386 -install_name /opt/
> local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python -
> compatibility_version 2.4 -current_version 2.4
> libtool: unrecognized option `-o'
> Try `libtool --help' for more information.
> make: *** [Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python] Error 1
>

> If I change to the build directory
>
> cd /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_
> dports_lang_python24/work/Python-2.4.3
>
> and run the program by hand using the Apple libtool, everything
> seems fine:
>
> sudo /usr/bin/libtool -o Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python -
> dynamic libpython2.4.a -lSystem -lSystemStubs -arch_only i386 -
> install_name /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
> Versions/2.4/Python -compatibility_version 2.4 -current_version 2.4
>
> I can then continue the port install, which works, and python also
> seems to work nicely so far, I can also continue to install py-numpy.
>
> Any comments on what I might be doing wrong? tests I should perform?

So if it works when you manually use /usr/bin/libtool, do you have a
different libtool somewhere else that's getting picked up first? What
does "which libtool" say?