libtool problem with MacPorts 1.4

Jochen Küpper jochen at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Fri Apr 6 04:18:41 PDT 2007

Hi,

first of all thank you all for all the work you are doing on
MacPorts, I really like it a lot. I really just came to the Mac
because the Intel MacBooks are so nice Unix machines;)

The first question I have here:

I just performed a port selfupdate to 1.4.0 yesterday and now try to
install python24 / py-numpy /  matplotlib with it.

The first point that raises is the following: It installed the gcc42
port, and I do habe /opt/local/bib/gcc-dp-4.2 and such. How is one
suppposed to ensure these are actually used? I have set CC, CXX, and
friends accordingly and have /opt/local/bin first in the path, but
the ports are still build using gcc-4.0 from Apple.

Moreover, I encounter a build-problem for python24 with libtool (the
MacPorts one):

[...]
ranlib libpython2.4.a
/opt/local/bin/ginstall -c -d -m 755 Python.framework/Versions/2.4
libtool -o Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python -dynamic
libpython2.4.a \
          -lSystem -lSystemStubs -arch_only i386 -install_name /opt/
local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python -
compatibility_version 2.4 -current_version 2.4
libtool: unrecognized option `-o'
Try `libtool --help' for more information.
make: *** [Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python] Error 1

If I change to the build directory

cd /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dp
orts_lang_python24/work/Python-2.4.3

and run the program by hand using the Apple libtool, everything seems
fine:

sudo /usr/bin/libtool -o Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python -
dynamic libpython2.4.a -lSystem -lSystemStubs -arch_only i386 -
install_name /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
2.4/Python -compatibility_version 2.4 -current_version 2.4

I can then continue the port install, which works, and python also
seems to work nicely so far, I can also continue to install py-numpy.

Any comments on what I might be doing wrong? tests I should perform?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Greetings,
Jochen
--
Fritz-Haber-Institut der MPG -- Department of Molecular Physics
Faradayweg 4-6 (C1.03)

phone: +49-30-84135686
fax:   +49-30-84135892