Cached configure?

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 12 08:04:39 PDT 2007

Hi Greg,

> Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to force ports to use the -C
> option when running configure.  It would speed up the compilation
> process a whole lot, and there's no reason for configure to run the
> same tests over and over, especially during the installing of a
> single port.

If you're talking about doing this in a Portfile, then, as per the
portfile(7) manpage, you can use

configure.args "<other_arguments> -C <other_arguments>"

or alternatively

configure.args-append "<other_arguments> -C <other_arguments>"

if you're in a context in which you need to avoid clobbering other
arguments to configure.  If, for some reason, -C or some other flag
needs to go before the main set of arguments, you can use
configure.pre_args(-append), or if it needs to go after the target,
you can use configure.post_args(-append).

On the other hand, if you're talking about overriding the flags on
the command line, you can just specify them at the end, e.g.:

sudo port install <port> configure.args="<other_args> -C <other_args>"

I imagine that configure.args-append will also work, but I haven't
tested it yet (I really should).

I'm curious, however, as to which port or ports you're experiencing
this problem with, as it seems to me that this might be better
reported to the upstream maintainers.  Speaking only for myself, I've
noticed that the various ports related to the Courier project
(courier-imapd, courier-authlib, maildrop) run a separate instance of
configure in each subdirectory of the unpacked source, and I don't
imagine that forcing caching will help in this case, as the cache
from the previous run of configure won't appear in the directory in
which the new run of configure occurs.  (I've really been meaning to
contact them about this too; it's the only project that I can recall
building where the configure time significantly exceeds the compile
time.)

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--