Getting to 1.4.1.

Paul Guyot pguyot at kallisys.net
Fri Apr 13 19:25:24 PDT 2007

On Apr 14, 2007, at 11:10 AM, James Berry wrote:

> In an effort to expedite small releases of MacPorts, such as 1.4.1,
> I'd like to suggest that we keep trunk as usable as possible,
> whenever we can.
>
> As an example, it's been suggested that the universal variant
> support in trunk is relatively immature, while most of the other
> changes in trunk would be ready for release. May I suggest that we
> put in ./configure --with-universal-variant or a ports.conf setting
> to to disable the effect of that variant? This would achieve two
> things, I believe:
>
> 	* Remove the threat of this option from trunk, while still
> allowing development and testing of the feature to continue on trunk.
> 	* Allow easy merging/tagging of 1.4.1 based on a complete merge
> from trunk.

James,

Thank you for managing the 1.4.1 release.
I do not understand why the universal variant support in trunk is
immature, and more importantly, what the plan is to make it more
mature. I do not see the advantage of disabling it by default either.
The code was designed to have strictly no incidence or to induce no
behavior change as long as users do not select the variant +universal
to build a port.

As far as the next releases are concerned, I would like to see the
following features (from trunk) becoming public, in order to be able
to benefit from them in portfiles:
- universal variant code
- configure flags (we'll be able to clean *many* ports)
- ignore ssl certificate when fetching (will fix a port that requires
this option)
- new livecheck options

I would like to stress that if the configure flags code isn't
released soon, maintainers who often use trunk might check in code
that will not work for users who often use release, if this hasn't
happened yet. Indeed, the trunk configure flags code provides -I$
{prefix}/include and -L${prefix}/lib in CPPFLAGS by default, and some
software require that.

Paul