Tor and unusual version numbers

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Fri Apr 27 11:59:56 PDT 2007

On 27/04/2007, at 11:20, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> and for the immediate workaround, the port maintainer can bump the
> epoch.

Isn't that going to muck things up for future versions if I then
delete it completely?  I figure that that must be the reason why I get

The following installed ports are outdated:
netpbm                         10.26.30_0 > 10.26.39_0  !

when running "port -v outdated", since the changeset history for the
netpbm Portfile shows an epoch line being inserted and then deleted.
I suppose that leaving epoch in there permanently shouldn't hurt, but
it's a bit misleading.

A question now to everyone using tor or tor-devel: what does "port -v
outdated" yield for you?  My testing, like that of Chris Pickel,
suggests that rpm-vercomp is working fine; I don't quite understand
the Tcl to understand exactly what port.tcl is doing.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang (Boey is my surname)