selfupdate with GNUstep

Yves de Champlain yves at macports.org
Mon Aug 13 06:51:47 PDT 2007

Le 07-08-13 à 06:07, Anders F Björklund a écrit :

> When using "port selfupdate" on platforms other than Mac OS X
> (such as Darwin, FreeBSD, Linux and probably most others too)
> it fails to find Foundation unless you set the environment up:
>
> checking for Apple Objective-C runtime... no
> checking for GNU Objective C runtime... yes
> configure: Using GNU Objective-C runtime
> checking for Apple Foundation library... no
> configure: WARNING: GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT is not defined in your
> environment, preventing the use of GNUstep's Foundation library
> configure: error: Could not find a working Foundation implementation

I don't think this is relevant in this case, but as of version 2.0,
gnustep-make should require GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES rather than
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT for the build process.  Of course, if you are not
using GNUstep make and all you want is GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT, then
that's another story.

> Can we source {/usr,/usr/local}/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/
> GNUstep.sh,
> as part of the "selfupdate" target, so that it works without
> configuration ?
> ("gnustep-base" is required to provide Foundation, for the
> tclobjc1.0 module)

Might as well include $prefix/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/
GNUstep.sh

> --anders
>
> PS. Ironically enough, GNUstep is not support on Darwin OS...
> But it works out of the box on FreeBSD and most Linux distros.
> For now I just set it up as part of the MP installation package.

What do you mean, it is not supported on Darwin ?  The gnustep
startup package supports Darwin and MP has ~ 35 gnustep ports.
People from gnustep were very collaborative at this, BTW.
I also think it is not so ironic because it happens that the two objc
runtimes don't live well with one another, especially since MacOS X
10.4 broke the way the gnu objc runtime worked on 10.3.
On the other hand, most Cocoa programmers just don't care about FOSS.

yves