selfupdate with GNUstep

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Aug 13 07:42:34 PDT 2007

Yves de Champlain wrote:

> I don't think this is relevant in this case, but as of version 2.0,
> gnustep-make should require GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES rather than
> GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT for the build process.  Of course, if you are not
> using GNUstep make and all you want is GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT, then
> that's another story.

I don't want GNUstep required at all, but tclobj1.0 does mandate it.
(which is somewhat premature I think, since it isn't used just yet)

Although I usually do install both gnustep-make and gnustep-base...
Maybe the foundation.m4 and friends needs a little updating then ?

>> Can we source
>> {/usr,/usr/local}/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh,
>> as part of the "selfupdate" target, so that it works without
>> configuration ?
>> ("gnustep-base" is required to provide Foundation, for the tclobjc1.0
>> module)
>
> Might as well include
> $prefix/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

You mean the MacPorts prefix (/opt/local) ? How would that work ?
I'm trying to bootstrap the _initial_ MacPorts installation here.

Anyway, GNUstep installs in /usr on Linux and /usr/local on FreeBSD.
(used the RPM package manager on Linux, and Ports collection on BSD)

>> PS. Ironically enough, GNUstep is not support on Darwin OS...
>> But it works out of the box on FreeBSD and most Linux distros.
>> For now I just set it up as part of the MP installation package.
>
> What do you mean, it is not supported on Darwin ?  The gnustep startup
> package supports Darwin and MP has ~ 35 gnustep ports.
> People from gnustep were very collaborative at this, BTW.

Maybe it's just me then, as I couldn't get Startup to work ?

Maybe I missed a requirement or two, I usually got those through
DarwinPorts but that didn't really work when bootstrapping...
Although I guess I could have installed an older DarwinPorts
version, and used that to bootstrap MacPorts 1.5 with ? :-)

Does it work on Darwin 8.0.1 too, or only on Darwin 7.0.1 ?

> I also think it is not so ironic because it happens that the two objc
> runtimes don't live well with one another, especially since MacOS X
> 10.4 broke the way the gnu objc runtime worked on 10.3.

Why would you have two runtimes on Darwin OS / "puredarwin" ?
If I did have the Apple library, I wouldn't need the GNU one.

> On the other hand, most Cocoa programmers just don't care about FOSS.

I guess if they did, they would be using OpenStep instead...
And the same probably goes for most Mac OS X users as well.

--anders