selfupdate with GNUstep

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Aug 14 01:56:32 PDT 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios:

>> I don't want GNUstep required at all, but tclobj1.0 does mandate it.
>> (which is somewhat premature I think, since it isn't used just yet)
>>
> 	Inclusion of the tclobjc bridge was for a very good purpose that
> we're still planning or pursuing, but pace on that front has been slow
> unfortunately. For the time being, we could maybe unhook building it
> from the rest of MacPorts build system, as it is currently unused.
> Landon....?

I'm not doubting the purpose or planned usefulness, I just wondered why
it was included into the configure and build process (at one point
*everything* linked to Foundation framework), before there is a
detailed use case or even a simple test case for it ?

At this point in time, you might as well leave it in. The GNUstep
components (aside from the sourcing of the GNUstep.sh) are in the
configure, and it is working OK on FreeBSD and Linux at least. If you
do plan on using it later anyway, then it's there now.

--anders