MacPorts 1.5.2 now available

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 21 14:33:11 PDT 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 12:16, Tommaso Urli wrote:

> As I said I reinstalled redaline through MacPorts, but still:
>
> frodo:/usr/local/lib root# port selfupdate
[snip]
> cc -dynamiclib -L/usr/local/lib  Pextlib.o strsed.o fgetln.o md5cmd.o
> setmode.o xinstall.o fs-traverse.o strcasecmp.o vercomp.o filemap.o
> sha1cmd.o compat.o curl.o rmd160cmd.o readline.o uid.o -o
> Pextlib.dylib -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4
> -ltclstub8.4 -L/usr/local/lib   -L/usr/lib -lcurl -lssl -lcrypto -lz
> -lcrypto -lreadline
> ld: warning prebinding disabled because of undefined symbols
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _rl_completion_matches
> _rl_filename_completion_function
> _rl_username_completion_function
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make[2]: *** [Pextlib.dylib] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 1

libreadline.a is the statically-linked library. Are you sure there
aren't also any dynamically-linked libraries of readline in /usr/
local/lib? Their names would be libreadline.*.dylib.

You'll also want to check for and remove any readline includes in /
usr/local/include.

Others have encountered this problem before; see:

http://rob.cogit8.org/blog/2006/Nov/06/macports-and-removing-fink/

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-May/
003230.html

I guess we should write a FAQ entry about it. Anyone wanna do that?

Devs: I think this problem occurs because MacPorts needs a newer
version of readline than the one you have in /usr/local. Couldn't we
add a check to ./configure to make sure the correct version of
readline is available, and issue a sensible error message if not,
rather than failing with this unfortunate undefined symbols error
later on? Or, couldn't we instruct configure never to look for
anything in /usr/local? I believe the latter has been suggested
before but I don't remember the outcome.