MacPorts 1.5.2 now available

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Tue Aug 21 17:00:43 PDT 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Devs: I think this problem occurs because MacPorts needs a newer
> version of readline than the one you have in /usr/local. Couldn't
> we add a check to ./configure to make sure the correct version of
> readline is available, and issue a sensible error message if not,
> rather than failing with this unfortunate undefined symbols error
> later on? Or, couldn't we instruct configure never to look for
> anything in /usr/local? I believe the latter has been suggested
> before but I don't remember the outcome.

The last time I looked into something like this, it was my conclusion
that /usr/local is considered special by gcc and hence, you can't
remove it from the list.  It would definitely be a great thing if
this has changed, or I was wrong, because having MP tell gcc to
always ignore /usr/local would definitely solve many problems, the
recurring readline issue being one of the most common of course.

Bryan