[28060] trunk/dports/archivers/sharutils/Portfile

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Tue Aug 21 18:34:50 PDT 2007

On 21/08/2007, at 02:55, Landon Fuller wrote:

> I don't see any advantage to adding complexity here. I believe we
> should write something like this up in the guide:
> 	The default installation of the software should be as feature
> complete, out of the box, as is possible. Variants should only be
> used for enabling incompatible options, or *expensive* features
> that most individuals will not need.

+1 from me.  As I understand it, the design philosophy of MacPorts
from the beginning was "Principle of Least Surprise", and that went
for the ports as well as the core MacPorts code.  I can't imagine
many things more frustrating to an ordinary user than installing a
program that they thought had localised text, which they wanted
because their English wasn't that strong, only to discover that it
didn't install that way by default.  The same thing goes for other
usual features that can optionally be disabled.  The more
knowledgable users amongst us can always turn off things we don't
want or need; the same can't be said for less advanced users trying
to find out how to turn _on_ things that they want or need (though
for some reasons, like security, it may be prudent to try to save
users from themselves).

Now I don't mean to say that I don't like Rainer's other idea of
being able to set MacPorts-wide variant options; that actually
appeals to me a lot.  Such a mechanism, however, is orthogonal to the
concern at hand, which is about what should be enabled by default,
and I agree with Landon on that.  I can't help but think that that
sort of thinking goes a long way towards the reputation for ease of
use enjoyed by Mac OS and the software that runs on it, and I for one
would want to avoid denting that as much as possible.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang (Boey is my surname)