Categories are evil

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Wed Aug 22 09:24:20 PDT 2007

On 2007-08-22 18:11:55 +0200, Rainer Müller wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > 'port dir portname' only lists the first directory (when a port is
> > present in several sources).
>
> That's good, otherwise we wouldn't be able to do something like
> cd $(port dir foo)

Yes, but one may want the one in another source. Now, the main
problem is that it's not always easy to type 'port dir portname'
when one has started to type another command.

> > There are drawbacks with some commands when one wants to look at
> > the history before the port was moved.
>
> What kind of drawbacks? Even if you did a svn mv in r42 and request an
> earlier revision 23 via http://.../foo/Portfile@23 subversion fetches it
> from the old location. That's the advantage of svn mv over pure mv.

This doesn't work here. If one wants to use the new URL, one mustn't
use @ after the URL (so that the URL from HEAD is considered), but one
needs to use -r<rev> instead. There are some cases (I don't remember)
where this is less practical. And of course, it's easy to get confused.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>