Categories are evil

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Wed Aug 22 10:24:04 PDT 2007

On Aug 22, 2007, at 07:13, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2007, at 5:34 AM, Randall Wood wrote:
>> Well, no, not really. Its just that I think that they are a really
>> bad way to physically organize the ports collection.
>
> why?
>
>> I understand that categories are an important and useful tool for
>> organizing and grouping ports, but when thinking about a GUI for
>> the MacPorts system, I realized that categories should best be
>> thought of as a set of semi-standardized keywords which any
>> mechanism for searching for ports should recognize. I have also
>> been long bugged by the need to decide which category is the
>> primary category for a port when placing it in the ports collection.
>
> there's nothing that forces the gui to adopt a display that mirrors
> the physical (on disk) layout of the ports.
>
> The current categories are there so that humans can browse the
> ports directory and see related ports somewhat grouped together.

Indeed. Why complicate things with weird sub-directories? If you
really don't want an on-disk port heirarchy (understandable), then we
could just stick them all in one directory. It's a flat namespace,
after all.
Honestly, though, this sounds like more change for the sake of
change. Is there a technical advantage to changing the implementation?

-landonf