New website! ... not yet, really (Fwd: [28303] trunk/www)

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 01:05:08 PDT 2007

Chris Pickel wrote:
> On 29 Aug, 2007, at 3:00, Michael Wild wrote:
>> Chris Pickel wrote:
>>> This inspired me to have a go at a set of new styles last night,
>>> which I've posted to http://stwing.org/~chpickel/macports/ -- pretty
>>> much a verbatim conversion of jmpp's page for now, with a few added
>>> links.
>>> (I'm still not sure about the languages. They're no good to be linked
>>> from the bottom of the page, but maybe they're too prominent in mine.
>>> Also, does anyone actually recognize the English flag?)
>>> But anyway, there's a thought about how the site should look. Not
>>> much of a departure from the Mac OS Forge look, but still more
>>> distinctively MacPorts.
>>> Chris
>>
>> Lovely
>>
>> A few things i didn't like that much:
>>
>> - The background of the page title should probably also have rounded
>> corners.
>
> This can be done, but would require a fair amount of extra work to go
> into the HTML code--i.e. instead of "<h2>Header</h2>" it would be "<div
> this can be revisited later.
>
>> - If I use Firefox, the navigation menu has a white stripe across it
>> (where the rounded-corner image and the box meet). Furthermore, the
>> colours do not seem to match in Firefox. These things are fine in Safari.
>>
>> I love the language-fly-out. Really cool. And yes, the British flag is
>> definitely recognisable (British spelling ;-)).
>
> I've actually worked on the page a bit since I originally posted to the
> list (the fly-out was my fix for my earlier thought that the languages
> were too prominent). And the American/British flag is new; it was
> previously the English [1] (not British) flag.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_England
>
> The white stripe is a regression from earlier, and I'm not sure just
> what's causing it--it exists in Opera too. The color thing is a more
> general bug and I'm never sure what to do about it.
>

> Chris

Hi

A simple

#navigation {
   margin-top: -1px;
}

solves that problem for me and also looks fine in safari (and yes, it is
a bit of a hack...)

The colour issue seems to be a problem with the png-libraries, or
similar. The colour you used in the css does not exactly match the one
in the .png images, and Safari and Firefox seem to "round" them to a
different colour. Using Seashore I just filled in the right colour
(#B1BACC). Things look fine now in both browsers. I attached the changed
images.

Hope this helps

Michael