New website! ... not yet, really (Fwd: [28303] trunk/www)

Chris Pickel sfiera at macports.org
Wed Aug 29 00:20:17 PDT 2007

On 29 Aug, 2007, at 3:00, Michael Wild wrote:
> Chris Pickel wrote:
>> This inspired me to have a go at a set of new styles last night,
>> which I've posted to http://stwing.org/~chpickel/macports/ --
>> pretty much a verbatim conversion of jmpp's page for now, with a
>> few added links.
>> (I'm still not sure about the languages. They're no good to be
>> linked from the bottom of the page, but maybe they're too
>> prominent in mine. Also, does anyone actually recognize the
>> English flag?)
>> But anyway, there's a thought about how the site should look. Not
>> much of a departure from the Mac OS Forge look, but still more
>> distinctively MacPorts.
>> Chris
>
> Lovely
>
> A few things i didn't like that much:
>
> - The background of the page title should probably also have
> rounded corners.

This can be done, but would require a fair amount of extra work to go
into the HTML code--i.e. instead of "<h2>Header</h2>" it would be
div>". Maybe this can be revisited later.

> - If I use Firefox, the navigation menu has a white stripe across
> it (where the rounded-corner image and the box meet). Furthermore,
> the colours do not seem to match in Firefox. These things are fine
> in Safari.
>
> I love the language-fly-out. Really cool. And yes, the British flag
> is definitely recognisable (British spelling ;-)).

I've actually worked on the page a bit since I originally posted to
the list (the fly-out was my fix for my earlier thought that the
languages were too prominent). And the American/British flag is new;
it was previously the English [1] (not British) flag.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_England

The white stripe is a regression from earlier, and I'm not sure just
what's causing it--it exists in Opera too. The color thing is a more
general bug and I'm never sure what to do about it.

Chris