destroot.violate_mtree and warning during install

Markus Weissmann mww at macports.org
Mon Dec 17 11:05:40 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 5:47 PM, Simon Ruderich wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 04:22:48AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> This is normal. The port does request to install files outside of
>> the common
>> directory structure. That's what you've indicated by adding
>> "destroot.violate_mtree" to the portfile. port is simply informing
>> the user
>> of this, because otherwise the user might rightly assume that all
>> items were
>> installed in "normal" places within ${prefix}.
>
> Hi Ryan,
>
> thanks for your help. I added a small description to the guide. Is
> this okay?
> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/changeset/32129

"This is not really a warning" (quote from the Changeset)

Well, actually it is. This indicates that the software that will just
be installed does not meet our 'mtree' requirements *).
Think of it more like a warning of a C compiler, like "warning:
possible loss of precision" -- might be o.k. for you, but might also
be fatal. Ports that e.g. have to install executables in /usr/sbin *)
can totally hose your system. They probably won't, but they could.

Perhaps we should make those fatal again and add an option to port(1)
for ignoring warnings, like `port --I-know-what-Im-doing install foo'.

Regards,

-Markus

*) for whatever reason

PS: You have a duplicate "set" in the 1st sentence.

--
Dipl. Inf. (FH) Markus W. Weissmann
http://www.macports.org/