destroot.violate_mtree and warning during install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 17 15:00:52 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 13:50, Simon Ruderich wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 08:05:40PM +0100, Markus Weissmann wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we should make those fatal again and add an option to port
>> (1) for
>> ignoring warnings, like `port --I-know-what-Im-doing install foo'.
>
> I think it's okay to make it fatal if destroot.violate_mtree is not
> true (I'm
> not sure if this is already the case). But if the maintainer thinks
> it's
> necessary we should respect his/her decision.

Please, no. It was that way in MacPorts 1.5.1, and we had to quickly
release 1.5.2 to make it non-fatal due to all the reports coming in.
I still see reports coming in every once in awhile about ports
violating the mtree without using destroot.violate_mtree. Until we
can prove that only a very few ports (or no ports) violate the mtree
without saying so, we should not make it fatal. And since we do not
have any automated builds right now and therefore no way to know how
many ports still violate the mtree without saying so, we should not
make this fatal at all.

Basically, making this a fatal error would inconvenience the user,
when we mean instead to alert the maintainer. Inconveniencing the
user is not a good idea. We should be striving to make MacPorts more
user-friendly, not less.