destroot.violate_mtree and warning during install

Simon Ruderich simon at ruderich.com
Mon Dec 17 11:50:39 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 08:05:40PM +0100, Markus Weissmann wrote:

> "This is not really a warning" (quote from the Changeset)
>
> Well, actually it is. This indicates that the software that will just be
> installed does not meet our 'mtree' requirements *).
> Think of it more like a warning of a C compiler, like "warning: possible
> loss of precision" -- might be o.k. for you, but might also be fatal. Ports
> that e.g. have to install executables in /usr/sbin *) can totally hose your
> system. They probably won't, but they could.

Thanks for the hint, I changed this so the user should decide if its okay with
him. What do you think?
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/changeset/32138

> Perhaps we should make those fatal again and add an option to port(1) for
> ignoring warnings, like `port --I-know-what-Im-doing install foo'.

I think it's okay to make it fatal if destroot.violate_mtree is not true (I'm
not sure if this is already the case). But if the maintainer thinks it's
necessary we should respect his/her decision.

> Regards,
>
> -Markus

Thanks,
Simon

> *) for whatever reason
>
> PS: You have a duplicate "set" in the 1st sentence.

Thanks, I fixed it.
--
+ privacy is necessary
+ using http://gnupg.org