RFC: coreutils uses program-prefix=g by default

js ebgssth at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 04:35:28 PST 2007

Hi list,

I've just installed coreutils and found that
all files in coreutils have "g" prefix.
"port cat corefiles" show that this is because
coreutils' portfile set configure.args to "program-prefix=g".

The reason why I installed coreutils was to
run shell script that uses seq but for the "g" prefix,
the shell script had to be modified to have "g" in front of the name.
This was very annoying for me.

Yes, I can easily avoid this by "port edit corefiles" and drop "program-prefix"
but I thought if most of the MacPorts users wouldn't want "g",
it might be better to fix this portfile.

So let me ask this, "Do you like to have gls, guniq in your /opt/local/bin?
Is there any case that removing "g" prefix causes any problems?

Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.