RFC: coreutils uses program-prefix=g by default

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Dec 22 04:41:31 PST 2007

js wrote:
[...]
> Yes, I can easily avoid this by "port edit corefiles" and drop "program-prefix"
> but I thought if most of the MacPorts users wouldn't want "g",
> it might be better to fix this portfile.

No need to edit it manually, use
  port install coreutils +with_default_names

This will install the binaries with the default names, i.e. without the
prefix "g".

> So let me ask this, "Do you like to have gls, guniq in your /opt/local/bin?
> Is there any case that removing "g" prefix causes any problems?

I think they are by default off because you expect ls from BSD and not
from GNU on Mac OS X by default. It might break other shell scripts.

Rainer