[32334] trunk/www/install.php

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri Dec 28 03:07:19 PST 2007

> Revision
> 32334
> Author
> jmpp at macports.org
> Date
> 2007-12-25 13:33:06 -0800 (Tue, 25 Dec 2007)
>
> Log Message
> Clarify that Leopard users need to install Xcode 3.0, while Tiger
> users need 2.5 (sorry Anders, no direct link to 2.4 off apple's site
> :-P).

As long as you are willing to deal with the breakage from using Xcode
2.5 (like #13736 et al), feel free to recommend either... I still think
2.4(.1) is the one to use while on Tiger. But the link is the same as
ever: http://connect.apple.com

"Xcode 2.5 is a minor update to the Tiger tools that is functionally
similar to Xcode 2.4.1. It is not considered a critical update. ...
This release is recommended for developers needing to continue to use
the Tiger tools while running Leopard, and serves as a transition to
Xcode 3.0..."

> Also switch to the now more familiar "Xcode" name, as the older
> "Developer Tools" is apparently being phased out. Closes #12779.

I only use the name "Developer Tools" since "Xcode Tools" is somewhat
ambiguous and easily confused with Xcode.app even though it also
installs a lot of BSD tools... But you can say "Xcode Tools 2.4"
instead of "August 2006 Developer Tools" if you prefer that name (but
not just Xcode please)

So saying Developer Tools is just a personal preference of mine, that
extends to FreeBSD and Fedora as well. But the name hasn't been in use
since Project Builder, when everything was renamed to Xcode. I kinda
expected Interface Builder to be renamed to Xgui or something too, but
that never happened.

--anders