List of universal archs in base (was: [31959] trunk/dports/devel/openssl)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 27 22:36:32 PST 2007

On Dec 28, 2007, at 00:21, Boey Maun Suang wrote:

> On Fri, December 14, 2007 7:42 pm, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Dec 12, 2007, at 12:52, mww at macports.org wrote:
>>
>>> +	post-patch {
>>> +#		foreach arch {i386 x86_64 ppc ppc64}
>>> +		foreach arch {i386 ppc} {
>>> +			file copy ${worksrcpath} ${workpath}/${arch}
>>> +		}
>>> +	}
>>
>> Perhaps we should define this list of universal architectures in
>> MacPorts base itself, so that ports that want to do something for
>> each arch will already have the array ready to go rather than have to
>> define it themselves -- possibly differently from base, which would
>> be inconsistent.
>>
>> Such a definition (let's call it "universal_archs", maybe) should
>> probably go above the definition of configure.universal_args in
>> portconfigure.tcl. The contents of this array should be used to build
>> up a new variable (how about "universal_arch_flags") which ends up
>> looking like "-arch i386 -arch ppc". This string can then be used to
>> build up configure.universal_cflags, configure.universal_cxxflags and
>> configure.universal_ldflags.
>>
>> Anyone agree? Disagree?
>
> That looks like a reasonable suggestion to me.  Given the patch
> that you
> quote, it might be better to extend the idea to handle 32- and 64-bit
> platforms as well, as I think that we're starting to see issues
> specific
> to single-arch 64-bit platform builds, 32-bit universal building,
> and so
> on.  Still don't grok base well enough to work on this myself,
> though :(
> I'll get there one day...

mww already implemented this in base, and made the list include all 4
archs.

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/changeset/32194

This brings up another issue though. Seems to me that all users who
already have ports with the old 2-way +universal variant installed
will now start seeing problems. What if, for example, I had zlib
+universal installed before (and therefore have a 2-way universal of
zlib installed), and now I update MacPorts base to include this 4-way
universal variant, and I try to install libpng +universal, which
depends on zlib, libpng will probably fail because there aren't any
64-bit versions of zlib for it to link with. We need to implement
some kind of fix for this before this change in trunk can be released.