[32364] trunk/base/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Fri Dec 28 20:33:47 PST 2007

On Dec 28, 2007, at 1:26 AM, Boey Maun Suang wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
>> My current idea is to create a base/config/macports_version file
>> holding
>> something like 1.6.1, but the selfupdate
>> logic of reading the latter over base/config/mp_version has to be
>> thoroughly thought out: 600 (from base/config/mp_version's 1.600)
>> is greater than 6, so if we flat out select base/config/
>> macports_version
>> to read the new version we will break
>> selfupdating for everyone, as rpm-vercomp will not see 1.6.1 as
>> greater
>> than 1.600.
>
> Why don't we just hold off on applying this fully until we decide to
> release 2.0, whenever that may be?   Surely we just avoid this problem
> then.
>
> Kind regards,
>

> Maun Suang

	Hi Maun Suang!

	Even though I was eager to push this rather cosmetic but nice (I
believe) change sooner than later, waiting for 2.0 and avoiding messy
and crazy hacks is indeed an option I was considering. So much that I
even implemented it in my recent r32394 commit ;-)

	But I have to admit I was sneaky! All the necessary code to switch us
to real version numbers is already in trunk, except for the "switch"
to actually do it. We now have base/config/mp_version, holding our
floating point version number, and base/config/macports_version,
holding our real version number; everything (autoconf, "port
selfupdate", "port version", etc) is setup to read mp_version and keep
on working as we have until now, but deleting that file and switching
just a couple of vars here and there to read macports_version will
magically switch us over to real version numbers. This code will start
cascading down to users when 1.6.1 is released and by the time 2.0
comes by, everyone will be ready to accept the switch... which is the
sneaky part ;-)

	Please let me know if you spot any obvious blunder I overlooked...
thankfully this is all still "dormant code" so it wont have any impact
just yet.

	Regards,...

-jmpp