Meet our brand new documentation! (Fwd: [31887]

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sat Dec 29 11:17:14 PST 2007

Boey Maun Suang wrote:

> On Fri, December 14, 2007 3:57 am, markd at macports.org wrote:
>> So how do you install MP on other systems without
>> installing from source?
>
> You can't :)  For there to be a binary installer, we'd have to build
> one,
> just as we have to build the Mac OS X binary installers we currently
> release.  There's no technical reason why one couldn't build a binary
> installer, but obviously someone would have to support it.

I have built installers for two other systems: FreeBSD and Fedora.
(1 BSD, 1 GNU - specifically: FreeBSD CURRENT and Fedora Rawhide)
So far they are just in my user directory, for "RC" and for "GA":
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/users/afb/GA/

To install them from the binary packages, you use something like:
rpm -ivh macports-1.6.0-0.fc9.i386.rpm
pkg_add macports-1.6.0-freebsd-7.0-i386.tbz
(or possibly by using something else like "yum" or "portupgrade")

There are quite a few dependencies involved in the process,
the biggest of which being the "Foundation" requirement...
The build scripts to build the packages are located within
the portmgr/ section of "base", in "freebsd" and "fedora".

--anders

PS. Some of the fedora packages were built from sources,
but the SRPMS should be in the user directory above too.