Defaulting --tclpackage to be inside of --prefix

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Mon Feb 5 09:56:17 PST 2007

On Feb 4, 2007, at 02:15, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2007, at 8:07 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:
>
>> If you don't specify --tclpackage, then it may end up being /
>> Library/Tcl or /System/Library/Tcl.
>>
>> I sometimes do multiple installs of MacPorts on the same box and
>> it would be nice to have each MacPorts install keep its files in
>> its own prefix.  Also, if you wish to tar up an installed
>> MacPorts, you don't also have to find stuff in /Library or /System.
>>
>> So can we change the default to be something like $prefix/lib/tcl/
>> macports?
>
> 	I'm not sure what the original rationale to choose /System/Library/
> Tcl (Jaguar) and /Library/Tcl (panther) to install the (at the
> time) DarwinPorts Tcl package was and if its still mandatory going
> forward (cf. Leopard), so here's hoping Landon can help us and shed
> some light on the matter.
>
> 	That put aside, I would be a bit hesitant to change the default
> value of such a crucial part of a MacPorts installation, not too
> sure what implications that might have for users who are upgrading
> rather than installing from scratch. Landon...? Basically we figure
> that a user experienced enough to need more than one installation
> will also be savvy enough to look for the configure script and
> leverage the flexibility it provides.
>
> 	Now.. that last concern being said, I do personally like the idea
> of having as much as possible contained in ${prefix}, so I would
> support the change if it happens to be a safe one.

'darwinports1.0' was installed external to ${prefix} for the purpose
of supporting external applications, such as the original Ports
Manager.app, that would otherwise be unable to find the darwinports
libraries. I tend to agree that as long as the configuration nob (--
tclpackage) is available, we should probably stick to /Library/Tcl as
the default.

-landonf