Defaulting --tclpackage to be inside of --prefix

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sun Feb 4 02:15:12 PST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 8:07 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:

> If you don't specify --tclpackage, then it may end up being
> /Library/Tcl or /System/Library/Tcl.
>
> I sometimes do multiple installs of MacPorts on the same box and it
> would be nice to have each MacPorts install keep its files in its own
> prefix.  Also, if you wish to tar up an installed MacPorts, you don't
> also have to find stuff in /Library or /System.
>
> So can we change the default to be something like
> $prefix/lib/tcl/macports?

	I'm not sure what the original rationale to choose /System/Library/Tcl
(Jaguar) and /Library/Tcl (panther) to install the (at the time)
DarwinPorts Tcl package was and if its still mandatory going forward
(cf. Leopard), so here's hoping Landon can help us and shed some light
on the matter.

	That put aside, I would be a bit hesitant to change the default value
of such a crucial part of a MacPorts installation, not too sure what
implications that might have for users who are upgrading rather than
installing from scratch. Landon...? Basically we figure that a user
experienced enough to need more than one installation will also be
savvy enough to look for the configure script and leverage the
flexibility it provides.

	Now.. that last concern being said, I do personally like the idea of
having as much as possible contained in ${prefix}, so I would support
the change if it happens to be a safe one.

> Regards,
> Blair

	Regards,....

-jmpp