Spacing issues

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Fri Feb 9 08:55:22 PST 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 8:50 AM, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> The spacing in MacPorts is a bit non-standard. We have mostly tabs,
> but there's a bunch of spaces in there as well, and it causes for
> some interesting indentation.
>
> I propose that all future edits be standardized at either 2-width
> or 4-width soft tabs (as in, spaces). I'd even be willing to
> convert all existing tcl files to use spaces instead of tabs in one
> batch, though that could leave indentation issues (but those can be
> fixed by hand the next time the file is edited).
>
> Is there any reason to keep tabs? Or any other comments?

Personally I prefer anarchy over regulation.

Other than a lack of consistency, has anybody experienced real
problems with the way things are? (Yes, I understand that with tabs
spacing can get a bit wonky if one person's editor is set to 4
characters per tab, while another has theirs at 8 spaces, and that
spacing when files are cat'd to a terminal at 8 spaces can look funny
too... but is consistency worth the price of conformity?)

James