[22092] trunk/dports/python

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Sun Feb 18 12:41:12 PST 2007

On 18.02.2007, at 18:08, Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:

> On 18.2.2007, at 0.15, Weissmann Markus wrote:

>>> Just let me be a little more precise : could there be py24-* and
>>> py25-* ports for python ports that use a specific PortGroup and
>>> py-* ports for python packages that don't use a PortGroup ?
>>>

>> No, I'd rather say we leave the py- prefix for 2.4 and use py25-
>> for python 2.5;
>> We could rename all py- ports to py24- but that'll probably more
>> of a headache than just leaving them like this.
>>
> Hi,
> I'm not totally comfortable with this. It is inconsistent to use
> ports bound to specific version, unless there is really some very
> definite reason to do it (like with posgresql having different
> binary formats with different versions). Users who want the latest
> version, expect to find it with the name they have used, nobody
> wants to dig new names with versions attached to them. Engineers
> might find it easier to use such names, but engineers should make
> users' lives as easy as possible, not to create obstacles.

This isn't about engineers vs. users. The not-so-smart user you
picture would not even care about specific python modules, but just
about some software that might use this module. And it wouldn't
bother him if this piece of software uses python 2.4 or 2.5.
The problem is, that python 2.4 and 2.5 are _not_ compatible. A user
will note care if a program uses python 2.4 or 2.5, but most
programmers and port developers will be pissed if python modules show
up randomly either in python 2.4 or 2.5 (or elsewhere).

-Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann
http://www.mweissmann.de/