New Port: gtk2-extra

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Feb 18 12:51:06 PST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 02:44, Anant Narayanan wrote:

> I'm new to this list; and so I don't know what the actual procedure
> for
> introducing a new port is. Nevertheless, I am attaching the
> Portfile for
> x11/gtk2-extra. GtkExtra is a set of useful widgets for Gtk+. The port
> for gtk-extra (corresponding to Gtk+1) was already present; I just had
> to change the version numbers and update the MD5.
>
> If Matthew is not available or is unwilling to maintain this port; I
> would be glad to do so.

Thanks for contributing! I have committed the port in r22138 with the
following changes:

1. I added you as the maintainer in addition to Matthew.
2. I added sha1 and rmd160 hashes in addition to the md5 hash. I
recommend Matthew make the same change to gtk-extra.
3. I changed the checksums line so it doesn't mention the tarball by
name; there's no reason to do so and it's just one more thing you'd
have to update each time. I recommend Matthew make the same change to
gtk-extra.

I guess the MacPorts copy command isn't available until MacPorts 1.4?
so "system cp ... ..." is still the best way to copy something? Once
MacPorts makes the copy command available, I suppose that would be
safer than direct system calls.

In the future, I think the best way to submit a new port is to create
a ticket in Trac, then notify the list that the ticket exists.