X11prefix ignored?

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Feb 20 07:33:32 PST 2007

	Hello again guys! In looking into completing some of our documentation
(Cf. "Undocumented ports.conf options" thread) I ran into the dportinit
proc in base/src/darwinports1.0/darwinports.tcl and noticed that the
x11prefix option is not initialized in it. And for that matter, neither
is ${prefix}, but I know that one is autoconfiscated. Looking further I
found and old ticket,
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/3073, claiming that
setting x11prefix in ports.conf indeed does not work. Is x11prefix
autoconfiscated too? Does that preclude setting those variables as
customizable options in ports.conf? I can easily see how dangerous
tweaking ${prefix} once MP is already installed can be, I see that
variable as an "adjust once only" one (therefore autoconfiscated) and
as such I'm thinking we should even remove it from ports.conf... unless
something needs to read it off that file at runtime. What gives?

1) Can/should we remove prefix from ports.conf?
2) Can/should we make x11prefix customizable from ports.conf?
3) In case the answer to the latter is "don't touch it,
autoconfiscation takes care of it and it shouldn't be tweaked
thereafter!", then question 1) applies to x11prefix as well.

	Anyone care to comment? Sorry for cc'ing you explicitly Landon, please
don't write that filtering rule to send my messages directly to the
trash ;-)

	Thanks for the help!

-jmpp